- 1. reef, ridge
- usage: a submerged ridge of rock or coral near the surface of the water
- 2. Witwatersrand, Rand, Reef
- usage: a rocky region in the southern Transvaal in northeastern South Africa; contains rich gold deposits and coal and manganese
- 3. reef, strip, slip
- usage: one of several strips across a sail that can be taken in or rolled up to lessen the area of the sail that is exposed to the wind
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. reef, lower, take down, let down, get down, bring down
- usage: lower and bring partially inboard; "reef the sailboat's mast"
- 2. reef, roll up, furl
- usage: roll up (a portion of a sail) in order to reduce its area
- 3. reef, shrink, reduce
- usage: reduce (a sail) by taking in a reef
All rights reserved.
See also: reef (Dictionary)