Synonyms of reed
- 1. reed, gramineous plant, graminaceous plant
- usage: tall woody perennial grasses with hollow slender stems especially of the genera Arundo and Phragmites
- 2. Reed, John Reed
- usage: United States journalist who reported on the October Revolution from Petrograd in 1917; founded the Communist Labor Party in America in 1919; is buried in the Kremlin in Moscow (1887-1920)
- 3. Reed, Walter Reed
- usage: United States physician who proved that yellow fever is transmitted by mosquitoes (1851-1902)
- 4. reed, vibrating reed, vibrator
- usage: a vibrator consisting of a thin strip of stiff material that vibrates to produce a tone when air streams over it; "the clarinetist fitted a new reed onto his mouthpiece"
- 5. beating-reed instrument, reed instrument, reed, woodwind, woodwind instrument, wood
- usage: a musical instrument that sounds by means of a vibrating reed
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of reed (Dictionary)