WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. rationalism, philosophical doctrine, philosophical theory
- usage: (philosophy) the doctrine that knowledge is acquired by reason without resort to experience
- 2. rationalism, theological doctrine
- usage: the theological doctrine that human reason rather than divine revelation establishes religious truth
- 3. rationalism, freethinking, doctrine, philosophy, philosophical system, school of thought, ism
- usage: the doctrine that reason is the right basis for regulating conduct
All rights reserved.
See also: rationalism (Dictionary)