- 1. discontinue, stop, cease, give up, quit, lay off
- usage: put an end to a state or an activity; "Quit teasing your little brother"
- 2. leave office, quit, step down, resign, leave, depart, pull up stakes
- usage: give up or retire from a position; "The Secretary of the Navy will leave office next month"; "The chairman resigned over the financial scandal"
- 3. depart, take leave, quit, leave, go forth, go away
- usage: go away or leave
- 4. foreswear, renounce, quit, relinquish, abandon, give up
- usage: turn away from; give up; "I am foreswearing women forever"
- 5. drop out, give up, fall by the wayside, drop by the wayside, throw in, throw in the towel, quit, chuck up the sponge
- usage: give up in the face of defeat of lacking hope; admit defeat; "In the second round, the challenger gave up"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. quits, equal (vs. unequal)
- usage: on equal terms by payment or requital; "we're now quits"; "finally quits with the loan"
All rights reserved.
See also: quits (Dictionary)