WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. quieten, hush, quiet, quiesce, quiet down, pipe down, change intensity
- usage: become quiet or quieter; "The audience fell silent when the speaker entered"
- 2. calm, calm down, quiet, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, lull, still, comfort, soothe, console, solace
- usage: make calm or still; "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
- 3. hush, quieten, silence, still, shut up, hush up, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: cause to be quiet or not talk; "Please silence the children in the church!"
All rights reserved.
See also: quieten (Dictionary)