- 1. preliminary, prelim, athletic contest, athletic competition, athletics
- usage: a minor match preceding the main event
- 2. preliminary, overture, prelude, origin, origination, inception
- usage: something that serves as a preceding event or introduces what follows; "training is a necessary preliminary to employment"; "drinks were the overture to dinner"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. preliminary, exploratory (vs. nonexploratory), explorative
- usage: denoting an action or event preceding or in preparation for something more important; designed to orient or acquaint with a situation before proceeding; "a preliminary investigation"
All rights reserved.
See also: preliminary (Dictionary)