- 1. precedent, case in point, example, illustration, instance, representative
- usage: an example that is used to justify similar occurrences at a later time
- 2. case law, precedent, common law, civil law
- usage: (civil law) a law established by following earlier judicial decisions
- 3. common law, case law, precedent, law, jurisprudence
- usage: a system of jurisprudence based on judicial precedents rather than statutory laws; "common law originated in the unwritten laws of England and was later applied in the United States"
- 4. precedent, subject, topic, theme
- usage: a subject mentioned earlier (preceding in time)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. precedent, preceding(prenominal) (vs. succeeding)
- usage: preceding in time, order, or significance
All rights reserved.
See also: precedent (Dictionary)