- 1. pillory, instrument of punishment
- usage: a wooden instrument of punishment on a post with holes for the wrists and neck; offenders were locked in and so exposed to public scorn
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pillory, gibbet, expose, exhibit, display
- usage: expose to ridicule or public scorn
- 2. pillory, punish, penalize, penalise
- usage: punish by putting in a pillory
- 3. savage, blast, pillory, crucify, knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
- usage: criticize harshly or violently; "The press savaged the new President"; "The critics crucified the author for plagiarizing a famous passage"
All rights reserved.
See also: pillory (Dictionary)