Synonyms of pile
- 1. pile, heap, mound, agglomerate, cumulation, cumulus, collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
- usage: a collection of objects laid on top of each other
- 2. batch, deal, flock, good deal, great deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mess, mickle, mint, mountain, muckle, passel, peck, pile, plenty, pot, quite a little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy sum, wad, large indefinite quantity, large indefinite amount
- usage: (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent; "a batch of letters"; "a deal of trouble"; "a lot of money"; "he made a mint on the stock market"; "see the rest of the winners in our huge passel of photos"; "it must have cost plenty"; "a slew of journalists"; "a wad of money"
- 3. pile, bundle, big bucks, megabucks, big money, money
- usage: a large sum of money (especially as pay or profit); "she made a bundle selling real estate"; "they sank megabucks into their new house"
- 4. down, pile, hair
- usage: fine soft dense hair (as the fine short hair of cattle or deer or the wool of sheep or the undercoat of certain dogs)
- 5. voltaic pile, pile, galvanic pile, battery, electric battery
- usage: battery consisting of voltaic cells arranged in series; the earliest electric battery devised by Volta
- 6. pile, spile, piling, stilt, column, pillar
- usage: a column of wood or steel or concrete that is driven into the ground to provide support for a structure
- 7. pile, nap, thread, yarn
- usage: the yarn (as in a rug or velvet or corduroy) that stands up from the weave; "for uniform color and texture tailors cut velvet with the pile running the same direction"
- 8. atomic pile, atomic reactor, pile, chain reactor, nuclear reactor, reactor
- usage: a nuclear reactor that uses controlled nuclear fission to generate energy
- 1. stack, pile, heap, arrange, set up
- usage: arrange in stacks; "heap firewood around the fireplace"; "stack your books up on the shelves"
- 2. throng, mob, pack, pile, jam, crowd, crowd together
- usage: press tightly together or cram; "The crowd packed the auditorium"
- 3. pile, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: place or lay as if in a pile; "The teacher piled work on the students until the parents protested"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of pile (Dictionary)