Synonyms of petty
- 1. petit larceny, petty larceny, petty, larceny, theft, thievery, thieving, stealing
- usage: larceny of property having a value less than some amount (the amount varies by locale)
- 1. junior-grade, lower-ranking, lowly, petty(prenominal), secondary, subaltern, junior (vs. senior)
- usage: inferior in rank or status; "the junior faculty"; "a lowly corporal"; "petty officialdom"; "a subordinate functionary"
- 2. fiddling, footling, lilliputian, little, niggling, piddling, piffling, petty, picayune, trivial, unimportant (vs. important)
- usage: (informal) small and of little importance; "a fiddling sum of money"; "a footling gesture"; "our worries are lilliputian compared with those of countries that are at war"; "a little (or small) matter"; "a dispute over niggling details"; "limited to petty enterprises"; "piffling efforts"; "giving a police officer a free meal may be against the law, but it seems to be a picayune infraction"
- 3. petty, small-minded, narrow-minded (vs. broad-minded), narrow
- usage: contemptibly narrow in outlook; "petty little comments"; "disgusted with their small-minded pettiness"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of petty (Dictionary)