Synonyms of peculiar
- 1. curious, funny, odd, peculiar, queer, rum, rummy, singular, strange (vs. familiar), unusual
- usage: beyond or deviating from the usual or expected; "a curious hybrid accent"; "her speech has a funny twang"; "they have some funny ideas about war"; "had an odd name"; "the peculiar aromatic odor of cloves"; "something definitely queer about this town"; "what a rum fellow"; "singular behavior"
- 2. particular(prenominal), peculiar(prenominal), special(prenominal), specific (vs. general) (vs. nonspecific)
- usage: unique or specific to a person or thing or category; "the particular demands of the job"; "has a particular preference for Chinese art"; "a peculiar bond of sympathy between them"; "an expression peculiar to Canadians"; "rights peculiar to the rich"; "the special features of a computer"; "my own special chair"
- 3. peculiar, unusual (vs. usual)
- usage: markedly different from the usual; "a peculiar hobby of stuffing and mounting bats"; "a man...feels it a peculiar insult to be taunted with cowardice by a woman"-Virginia Woolf
- 4. peculiar(prenominal), characteristic (vs. uncharacteristic)
- usage: characteristic of one only; distinctive or special; "the peculiar character of the Government of the U.S."- R.B.Taney
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of peculiar (Dictionary)