Synonyms of pay off
- 1. payoff, final payment, payment
- usage: the final payment of a debt
- 2. bribe, payoff, payment
- usage: payment made to a person in a position of trust to corrupt his judgment
- 3. return, issue, take, takings, proceeds, yield, payoff, income
- usage: the income or profit arising from such transactions as the sale of land or other property; "the average return was about 5%"
- 4. wages, reward, payoff, consequence, aftermath
- usage: a recompense for worthy acts or retribution for wrongdoing; "the wages of sin is death"; "virtue is its own reward"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pay off, yield, pay, bear
- usage: yield a profit or result; "His efforts finally paid off"
- 2. liquidate, pay off, pay up, ante up, pay
- usage: eliminate by paying off (debts)
- 3. redeem, pay off, pay
- usage: pay off (loans or promissory notes)
- 4. pay, pay off, make up, compensate, settle
- usage: do or give something to somebody in return; "Does she pay you for the work you are doing?"
- 5. buy off, pay off, bribe, corrupt, buy, grease one's palms
- usage: pay someone with influence in order to receive a favor
- 6. pay back, pay off, get, fix, get even, get back
- usage: take vengeance on or get even; "We'll get them!"; "That'll fix him good!"; "This time I got him"
All rights reserved.