- 1. form, shape, pattern, structure
- usage: a perceptual structure; "the composition presents problems for students of musical form"; "a visual pattern must include not only objects but the spaces between them"
- 2. practice, pattern, activity
- usage: a customary way of operation or behavior; "it is their practice to give annual raises"; "they changed their dietary pattern"
- 3. design, pattern, figure, decoration, ornament, ornamentation
- usage: a decorative or artistic work; "the coach had a design on the doors"
- 4. convention, normal, pattern, rule, formula, practice
- usage: something regarded as a normative example; "the convention of not naming the main character"; "violence is the rule not the exception"; "his formula for impressing visitors"
- 5. pattern, exemplar, example, model, good example
- usage: a model considered worthy of imitation; "the American constitution has provided a pattern for many republics"
- 6. blueprint, design, pattern, plan, program, programme
- usage: something intended as a guide for making something else; "a blueprint for a house"; "a pattern for a skirt"
- 7. traffic pattern, approach pattern, pattern, path, route, itinerary
- usage: the path that is prescribed for an airplane that is preparing to land at an airport; "the traffic patterns around O'Hare are very crowded"; "they stayed in the pattern until the fog lifted"
- 8. radiation pattern, radiation diagram, pattern, graph, graphical record
- usage: graphical representation (in polar or Cartesian coordinates) of the spatial distribution of radiation from an antenna as a function of angle
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. model, pattern, imitate, copy, simulate
- usage: plan or create according to a model or models
- 2. pattern, match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree
- usage: form a pattern; "These sentences pattern like the ones we studied before"
All rights reserved.
See also: pattern (Dictionary)