- 1. particular, specific, fact
- usage: a fact about some part (as opposed to general); "he always reasons from the particular to the general"
- 2. detail, particular, item, part, portion, component part, component, constituent
- usage: a small part that can be considered separately from the whole; "it was perfect in all details"
- 3. particular, particular proposition, proposition
- usage: (logic) a proposition that asserts something about some (but not all) members of a class
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. particular(prenominal), peculiar(prenominal), special(prenominal), specific (vs. general) (vs. nonspecific)
- usage: unique or specific to a person or thing or category; "the particular demands of the job"; "has a particular preference for Chinese art"; "a peculiar bond of sympathy between them"; "an expression peculiar to Canadians"; "rights peculiar to the rich"; "the special features of a computer"; "my own special chair"
- 2. particular(prenominal), specific (vs. general) (vs. nonspecific)
- usage: separate and distinct from others of the same group or category; "interested in one particular artist"; "a man who wishes to make a particular woman fall in love with him"
- 3. especial(prenominal), exceptional, particular(prenominal), special, uncommon (vs. common)
- usage: surpassing what is common or usual or expected; "he paid especial attention to her"; "exceptional kindness"; "a matter of particular and unusual importance"; "a special occasion"; "a special reason to confide in her"; "what's so special about the year 2000?"
- 4. particular, special, primary (vs. secondary)
- usage: first and most important; "his special interest is music"; "she gets special (or particular) satisfaction from her volunteer work"
- 5. finical, finicky, fussy, particular, picky, fastidious (vs. unfastidious)
- usage: exacting especially about details; "a finicky eater"; "fussy about clothes"; "very particular about how her food was prepared"
- 6. particular(prenominal), careful (vs. careless)
- usage: providing specific details or circumstances; "a particular description of the room"
All rights reserved.
See also: particular (Dictionary)