- 1. overwhelm, overpower, sweep over, whelm, overcome, overtake, arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke
- usage: overcome, as with emotions or perceptual stimuli
- 2. overwhelm, deluge, flood out, charge, saddle, burden
- usage: charge someone with too many tasks
- 3. submerge, drown, overwhelm, cover, spread over
- usage: cover completely or make imperceptible; "I was drowned in work"; "The noise drowned out her speech"
- 4. overpower, overmaster, overwhelm, beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
- usage: overcome by superior force
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. overpowering, overwhelming, irresistible (vs. resistible), resistless
- usage: so strong as to be irresistible; "an overpowering need for solitude"; "the temptation to despair may become overwhelming"; "an overwhelming majority"
- 2. consuming, overwhelming, intense (vs. mild)
- usage: very intense; "politics is his consuming passion"; "overwhelming joy"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of overwhelming (Dictionary)