- 1. overrule, overturn, override, overthrow, reverse, rule, decree
- usage: rule against; "The Republicans were overruled when the House voted on the bill"
- 2. override, predominate, dominate, rule, reign, prevail
- usage: prevail over; "health considerations override financial concerns"
- 3. override, counteract, countervail, neutralize, counterbalance
- usage: counteract the normal operation of (an automatic gear shift in a vehicle)
- 4. override, ride, sit
- usage: ride (a horse) too hard
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. overriding, paramount, predominant, predominate, preponderant, preponderating, dominant (vs. subordinate)
- usage: having superior power and influence; "the predominant mood among policy-makers is optimism"
All rights reserved.
See also: overriding (Dictionary)