WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. originate, arise, rise, develop, uprise, spring up, grow, become
- usage: come into existence; take on form or shape; "A new religious movement originated in that country"; "a love that sprang up from friendship"; "the idea for the book grew out of a short story"; "An interesting phenomenon uprose"
- 2. originate, initiate, start, make, create
- usage: bring into being; "He initiated a new program"; "Start a foundation"
- 3. originate, begin, start
- usage: begin a trip at a certain point, as of a plane, train, bus, etc.; "The flight originates in Calcutta"
All rights reserved.
See also: originate (Dictionary)