Synonyms of original
- 1. master, master copy, original, creation
- usage: an original creation (i.e., an audio recording) from which copies can be made
- 2. original, archetype, pilot, model, example
- usage: something that serves as a model or a basis for making copies; "this painting is a copy of the original"
- 1. original, first (vs. last)
- usage: preceding all others in time or being as first made or performed; "the original inhabitants of the Americas"; "the book still has its original binding"; "restored the house to its original condition"; "the original performance of the opera"; "the original cast"; "retracted his original statement"
- 2. original, primary (vs. secondary)
- usage: (of e.g. information) not secondhand or by way of something intermediary; "his work is based on only original, not secondary, sources"
- 3. original (vs. unoriginal), avant-garde, daring, freehand, freehanded, fresh, new, novel, germinal, originative, seminal, innovative, innovational, groundbreaking, newfangled, new, underivative, creative#1, originative, first, primary, unconventional
- usage: being or productive of something fresh and unusual; or being as first made or thought of; "a truly original approach"; "with original music"; "an original mind"
- 4. original, underived (vs. derived)
- usage: not derived or copied or translated from something else; "the play is original; not an adaptation"; "he kept the original copy and gave her only a xerox"; "the translation misses much of the subtlety of the original French"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of original (Dictionary)