WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. operate, run, direct
- usage: direct or control; projects, businesses, etc.; "She is running a relief operation in the Sudan"
- 2. function, work, operate, go, run
- usage: perform as expected when applied; "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore"
- 3. operate, control, manipulate
- usage: handle and cause to function; "do not operate machinery after imbibing alcohol"; "control the lever"
- 4. manoeuver, maneuver, manoeuvre, operate, move, go
- usage: perform a movement in military or naval tactics in order to secure an advantage in attack or defense
- 5. operate, happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
- usage: happen; "What is going on in the minds of the people?"
- 6. engage, mesh, lock, operate, move, displace
- usage: keep engaged; "engaged the gears"
- 7. operate on, operate, treat, care for
- usage: perform surgery on; "The doctors operated on the patient but failed to save his life"
All rights reserved.
See also: operate (Dictionary)