- 1. Northern, Middle English
- usage: a dialect of Middle English that developed into Scottish Lallans
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. northern (vs. southern), blue, Union, Federal, Yankee
- usage: in or characteristic of a region of the United States north of (approximately) the Mason-Dixon line; "Northern liberals"; "northern industry"; "northern cities"
- 2. northerly, northern, north (vs. south)
- usage: situated in or oriented toward the north; "the northern suburbs"; "going in a northerly direction"
- 3. northerly, northern, north (vs. south)
- usage: coming from the north; used especially of wind; "the north wind doth blow"; "a northern snowstorm"; "the winds are northerly"
- 4. northern (vs. southern), boreal, circumboreal, north-central, septrional
- usage: situated in or coming from regions of the north; "the northern hemisphere"; "northern autumn colors"
All rights reserved.
See also: northern (Dictionary)