Synonyms of mate
- 1. mate, first mate, officer, ship's officer
- usage: the officer below the master on a commercial ship
- 2. teammate, mate, associate
- usage: a fellow member of a team; "it was his first start against his former teammates"
- 3. mate, animal, animate being, beast, brute, creature, fauna
- usage: the partner of an animal (especially a sexual partner); "he loved the mare and all her mates"; "camels hate leaving their mates"
- 4. spouse, partner, married person, mate, better half, relative, relation, domestic partner, significant other, spousal equivalent, spouse equivalent
- usage: a person's partner in marriage
- 5. match, mate, duplicate, duplication
- usage: an exact duplicate; "when a match is found an entry is made in the notebook"
- 6. mate, fellow, singleton
- usage: one of a pair; "he lost the mate to his shoe"; "one eye was blue but its fellow was brown"
- 7. mate, Paraguay tea, Ilex paraguariensis, holly
- usage: South American holly; leaves used in making a drink like tea
- 8. mate, friend
- usage: informal term for a friend of the same sex
- 9. mate, beverage, drink, drinkable, potable
- usage: South American tea-like drink made from leaves of a South American holly called mate
- 10. checkmate, mate, chess move
- usage: a chess move constituting an inescapable and indefensible attack on the opponent's king
- 1. copulate, mate, pair, couple, join, conjoin
- usage: engage in sexual intercourse; "Birds mate in the Spring"
- 2. match, mate, couple, pair, twin, join, bring together
- usage: bring two objects, ideas, or people together; "This fact is coupled to the other one"; "Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"; "The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project"
- 3. checkmate, mate, beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
- usage: place an opponent's king under an attack from which it cannot escape and thus ending the game; "Kasparov checkmated his opponent after only a few moves"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of mate (Dictionary)