WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. loss, transferred property, transferred possession
- usage: something that is lost; "the car was a total loss"; "loss of livestock left the rancher bankrupt"
- 2. loss, decline, diminution
- usage: gradual decline in amount or activity; "weight loss"; "a serious loss of business"
- 3. loss, failure
- usage: the act of losing someone or something; "everyone expected him to win so his loss was a shock"
- 4. loss, deprivation, disadvantage
- usage: the disadvantage that results from losing something; "his loss of credibility led to his resignation"; "losing him is no great deprivation"
- 5. loss, experience
- usage: the experience of losing a loved one; "he sympathized on the loss of their grandfather"
- 6. loss, red ink, red, sum, sum of money, amount, amount of money
- usage: the amount by which the cost of a business exceeds its revenue; "the company operated at a loss last year"; "the company operated in the red last year"
- 7. personnel casualty, loss, casualty
- usage: military personnel lost by death or capture
- 8. passing, loss, departure, exit, expiration, going, release, death, decease, expiry
- usage: euphemistic expressions for death; "thousands mourned his passing"
All rights reserved.
See also: loss (Dictionary)