Synonyms of lose
- 1. lose
- usage: fail to keep or to maintain; cease to have, either physically or in an abstract sense; "She lost her purse when she left it unattended on her seat"
- 2. lose
- usage: fail to win; "We lost the battle but we won the war"
- 3. lose, suffer
- usage: suffer the loss of a person through death or removal; "She lost her husband in the war"; "The couple that wanted to adopt the child lost her when the biological parents claimed her"
- 4. misplace, mislay, lose, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: place (something) where one cannot find it again; "I misplaced my eyeglasses"
- 5. lose
- usage: miss from one's possessions; lose sight of; "I've lost my glasses again!"
- 6. lose
- usage: allow to go out of sight; "The detective lost the man he was shadowing after he had to stop at a red light"
- 7. lose, turn a loss
- usage: fail to make money in a business; make a loss or fail to profit; "I lost thousands of dollars on that bad investment!"; "The company turned a loss after the first year"
- 8. lose
- usage: fail to get or obtain; "I lost the opportunity to spend a year abroad"
- 9. fall back, lose, drop off, fall behind, recede, regress, retrograde, retrogress
- usage: retreat
- 10. miss, lose
- usage: fail to perceive or to catch with the senses or the mind; "I missed that remark"; "She missed his point"; "We lost part of what he said"
- 11. suffer, lose, worsen, decline
- usage: be set at a disadvantage; "This author really suffers in translation"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of lose (Dictionary)