WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. inflame, worsen, aggravate, exacerbate, exasperate
- usage: cause inflammation in; "The repetitive motion inflamed her joint"
- 2. kindle, inflame, flare up
- usage: catch fire; "The dried grass of the prairie kindled, spreading the flames for miles"
- 3. kindle, enkindle, conflagrate, inflame, ignite, light
- usage: cause to start burning; "The setting sun kindled the sky with oranges and reds"
- 4. inflame, stir up, wake, ignite, heat, fire up, arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke
- usage: arouse or excite feelings and passions; "The ostentatious way of living of the rich ignites the hatred of the poor"; "The refugees' fate stirred up compassion around the world"; "Wake old feelings of hatred"
- 5. inflame, worsen, decline
- usage: become inflamed; get sore; "His throat inflamed"
All rights reserved.
See also: inflame (Dictionary)