WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. index, scale, scale of measurement, graduated table, ordered series
- usage: a numerical scale used to compare variables with one another or with some reference number
- 2. index, index number, indicant, indicator, fact
- usage: a number or ratio (a value on a scale of measurement) derived from a series of observed facts; can reveal relative changes as a function of time
- 3. exponent, power, index, mathematical notation
- usage: a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
- 4. index, list, listing
- usage: an alphabetical listing of names and topics along with page numbers where they are discussed
- 5. index, index finger, forefinger, finger
- usage: the finger next to the thumb
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of indices (Dictionary)