- 1. mugwump, independent, fencesitter, individualist
- usage: a neutral or uncommitted person (especially in politics)
- 2. freelancer, freelance, free-lance, free lance, independent, self-employed person, worker
- usage: a writer or artist who sells services to different employers without a long-term contract with any of them
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. independent (vs. dependent), autarkic, autarkical, autonomous, self-directed, self-reliant, autonomous, breakaway, fissiparous, separatist, commutative, free-living, nonparasitic, nonsymbiotic, indie, individual, case-by-case, item-by-item, self-sufficient, self-sufficing, self-sustaining, self-supporting, single-handed, strong-minded, unaffiliated, unconditional, free, separate
- usage: free from external control and constraint; "an independent mind"; "a series of independent judgments"; "fiercely independent individualism"
- 2. autonomous, independent, self-governing, sovereign, free (vs. unfree)
- usage: (of political bodies) not controlled by outside forces; "an autonomous judiciary"; "a sovereign state"
- 3. independent (vs. dependent), main(prenominal)
- usage: (of a clause) capable of standing syntactically alone as a complete sentence; "the main (or independent) clause in a complex sentence has at least a subject and a verb"
- 4. independent, nonpartisan (vs. partisan), nonpartizan
- usage: not controlled by a party or interest group
All rights reserved.
See also: independent (Dictionary)