WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. inauspicious (vs. auspicious), unfortunate, unpromising
- usage: not auspicious; boding ill
- 2. adverse, inauspicious, untoward, unfavorable (vs. favorable), unfavourable
- usage: contrary to your interests or welfare; "adverse circumstances"; "made a place for themselves under the most untoward conditions"
- 3. ill, inauspicious, ominous, unpropitious (vs. propitious)
- usage: presaging ill fortune; "ill omens"; "ill predictions"; "my words with inauspicious thunderings shook heaven"- P.B.Shelley; "a dead and ominous silence prevailed"; "a by-election at a time highly unpropitious for the Government"
All rights reserved.
See also: inauspicious (Dictionary)