WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. parlance, idiom, formulation, expression
- usage: a manner of speaking that is natural to native speakers of a language
- 2. dialect, idiom, accent, non-standard speech
- usage: the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people; "the immigrants spoke an odd dialect of English"; "he has a strong German accent"; "it has been said that a language is a dialect with an army and navy"
- 3. artistic style, idiom, manner, mode, style, way, fashion
- usage: the style of a particular artist or school or movement; "an imaginative orchestral idiom"
- 4. idiom, idiomatic expression, phrasal idiom, set phrase, phrase, saying, expression, locution
- usage: an expression whose meanings cannot be inferred from the meanings of the words that make it up
All rights reserved.
See also: idiom (Dictionary)