WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. identity, personal identity, individuality, personality
- usage: the distinct personality of an individual regarded as a persisting entity; "you can lose your identity when you join the army"
- 2. identity, recognition, identification
- usage: the individual characteristics by which a thing or person is recognized or known; "geneticists only recently discovered the identity of the gene that causes it"; "it was too dark to determine his identity"; "she guessed the identity of his lover"
- 3. identity, identity element, identity operator, operator
- usage: an operator that leaves unchanged the element on which it operates; "the identity under numerical multiplication is 1"
- 4. identity, identicalness, indistinguishability, sameness
- usage: exact sameness; "they shared an identity of interests"
All rights reserved.
See also: identity (Dictionary)