WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. history, past, past times, yesteryear
- usage: the aggregate of past events; "a critical time in the school's history"
- 2. history, account, chronicle, story, record
- usage: a record or narrative description of past events; "a history of France"; "he gave an inaccurate account of the plot to kill the president"; "the story of exposure to lead"
- 3. history, humanistic discipline, humanities, liberal arts, arts
- usage: the discipline that records and interprets past events involving human beings; "he teaches Medieval history"; "history takes the long view"
- 4. history, continuum
- usage: the continuum of events occurring in succession leading from the past to the present and even into the future; "all of human history"
- 5. history, cognition, knowledge, noesis
- usage: all that is remembered of the past as preserved in writing; a body of knowledge; "the dawn of recorded history"; "from the beginning of history"
All rights reserved.
See also: history (Dictionary)