WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. heart, bosom, intuition, hunch, suspicion
- usage: the locus of feelings and intuitions; "in your heart you know it is true"; "her story would melt your bosom"
- 2. heart, pump, ticker, internal organ, viscus
- usage: the hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions move the blood through the body; "he stood still, his heart thumping wildly"
- 3. heart, mettle, nerve, spunk, courage, courageousness, bravery, braveness
- usage: the courage to carry on; "he kept fighting on pure spunk"; "you haven't got the heart for baseball"
- 4. center, centre, middle, heart, eye, area, country
- usage: an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm"
- 5. kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty, content, cognitive content, mental object
- usage: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
- 6. heart, spirit, disposition, temperament
- usage: an inclination or tendency of a certain kind; "he had a change of heart"
- 7. heart, plane figure, two-dimensional figure
- usage: a plane figure with rounded sides curving inward at the top and intersecting at the bottom; conventionally used on playing cards and valentines; "he drew a heart and called it a valentine"
- 8. heart, variety meat, organs
- usage: a firm rather dry variety meat (usually beef or veal); "a five-pound beef heart will serve six"
- 9. affection, affectionateness, fondness, tenderness, heart, warmness, warmheartedness, philia, feeling
- usage: a positive feeling of liking; "he had trouble expressing the affection he felt"; "the child won everyone's heart"; "the warmness of his welcome made us feel right at home"
- 10. heart, playing card
- usage: a playing card in the major suit that has one or more red hearts on it; "he led the queen of hearts"; "hearts were trumps"
All rights reserved.
See also: heart (Dictionary)