WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. adversity, hardship, hard knocks, misfortune, bad luck, tough luck, ill luck
- usage: a state of misfortune or affliction; "debt-ridden farmers struggling with adversity"; "a life of hardship"
- 2. asperity, grimness, hardship, rigor, rigour, severity, severeness, rigorousness, rigourousness, difficulty, difficultness
- usage: something hard to endure; "the asperity of northern winters"
- 3. hardship, misfortune, bad luck
- usage: something that causes or entails suffering; "I cannot think it a hardship that more indulgence is allowed to men than to women"- James Boswell; "the many hardships of frontier life"
All rights reserved.
See also: hardship (Dictionary)