WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hardness, consistency, consistence, eubstance, body
- usage: the property of being rigid and resistant to pressure; not easily scratched; measured on Mohs scale
- 2. hardness, quality
- usage: a quality of water that contains dissolved mineral salts that prevent soap from lathering; "the costs of reducing hardness depend on the relative amounts of calcium and magnesium compounds that are present"
- 3. unfeelingness, callousness, callosity, hardness, insensibility, insensitivity, insensitiveness
- usage: devoid of passion or feeling; hardheartedness
- 4. hardness, ruggedness, difficulty, difficultness
- usage: the quality of being difficult to do; "he assigned a series of problems of increasing hardness"; "the ruggedness of his exams caused half the class to fail"
- 5. severity, severeness, harshness, rigor, rigour, rigorousness, rigourousness, inclemency, hardness, stiffness, sternness, strictness
- usage: excessive sternness; "severity of character"; "the harshness of his punishment was inhuman"; "the rigors of boot camp"
All rights reserved.
See also: hardness (Dictionary)