Synonyms of hanging
- 1. hanging, wall hanging, decoration, ornament, ornamentation
- usage: decoration that is hung (as a tapestry) on a wall or over a window; "the cold castle walls were covered with hangings"
- 2. hanging, execution, executing, capital punishment, death penalty
- usage: a form of capital punishment; victim is suspended by the neck from a gallows or gibbet until dead; "in those days the hanging of criminals was a public entertainment"
- 3. suspension, dangling, hanging, support, supporting
- usage: the act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it moves freely); "there was a small ceremony for the hanging of the portrait"
- 1. hang
- usage: be suspended or hanging; "The flag hung on the wall"
- 2. hang, hang up, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: cause to be hanging or suspended; "Hang that picture on the wall"
- 3. hang, string up, execute, put to death
- usage: kill by hanging; "The murderer was hanged on Friday"
- 4. hang, drop
- usage: let drop or droop; "Hang one's head in shame"
- 5. hang, fall, flow
- usage: fall or flow in a certain way; "This dress hangs well"; "Her long black hair flowed down her back"
- 6. hang, be
- usage: be menacing, burdensome, or oppressive; "This worry hangs on my mind"; "The cloud of suspicion hangs over her"
- 7. attend, hang, advert, pay heed, give ear, listen
- usage: give heed (to); "The children in the audience attended the recital quietly"; "She hung on his every word"; "They attended to everything he said"
- 8. hang
- usage: be suspended or poised; "Heavy fog hung over the valley"
- 9. cling, hang, grasp, hold on
- usage: hold on tightly or tenaciously; "hang on to your father's hands"; "The child clung to his mother's apron"
- 10. hang
- usage: be exhibited; "Picasso hangs in this new wing of the museum"
- 11. hang, obstruct, blockade, block, hinder, stymie, stymy, embarrass
- usage: prevent from reaching a verdict, of a jury
- 12. hang, decorate, adorn, grace, ornament, embellish, beautify
- usage: decorate or furnish with something suspended; "Hang wallpaper"
- 13. hang
- usage: be placed in position as by a hinge; "This cabinet door doesn't hang right!"
- 14. hang, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: place in position as by a hinge so as to allow free movement in one direction; "hang a door"
- 15. hang, decompose, rot, molder, moulder
- usage: suspend (meat) in order to get a gamey taste; "hang the venison for a few days"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of hanging (Dictionary)