Synonyms of gregory
- 1. Gregory, Gregory Nazianzen, Gregory of Nazianzen, St. Gregory of Nazianzen
- usage: (Roman Catholic Church) a church father known for his constant fight against perceived heresies; a saint and Doctor of the Church (329-391)
- 2. Gregory, Gregory XVI, Bartolomeo Alberto Capillari
- usage: Italian pope from 1831 to 1846; conservative in politics and theology; worked to propagate Catholicism in England and the United States (1765-1846)
- 3. Gregory, Gregory XIII, Ugo Buoncompagni
- usage: the pope who sponsored the introduction of the modern calendar (1572-1585)
- 4. Gregory, Gregory XII, Angelo Correr
- usage: the Italian pope from 1406 to 1415 who worked to end the Great Schism and who retired to make it possible (1327-1417)
- 5. Gregory, Gregory VII, Hildebrand
- usage: the Italian pope who fought to establish the supremacy of the pope over the Roman Catholic Church and the supremacy of the church over the state (1020-1085)
- 6. Gregory, Gregory I, Saint Gregory I, St. Gregory I, Gregory the Great
- usage: (Roman Catholic Church) an Italian pope distinguished for his spiritual and temporal leadership; a saint and Doctor of the Church (540?-604)
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of gregory (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.