- 1. grate, grating, barrier
- usage: a barrier that has parallel or crossed bars blocking a passage but admitting air
- 2. grate, grating, framework
- usage: a frame of iron bars to hold a fire
- 3. diffraction grating, grating, optical device
- usage: optical device consisting of a surface with many parallel grooves in it; disperses a beam of light (or other electromagnetic radiation) into its wavelengths to produce its spectrum
- 1. grate, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: furnish with a grate; "a grated fireplace"
- 2. eat into, fret, rankle, grate, annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil
- usage: gnaw into; make resentful or angry; "The injustice rankled her"; "his resentment festered"
- 3. grate, rub
- usage: reduce to small shreds or pulverize by rubbing against a rough or sharp perforated surface; "grate carrots and onions"; "grate nutmeg"
- 4. grate, grind, break up, fragment, fragmentize, fragmentise
- usage: make a grating or grinding sound by rubbing together; "grate one's teeth in anger"
- 5. scrape, grate, rub
- usage: scratch repeatedly; "The cat scraped at the armchair"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. grating, gravelly, rasping, raspy, rough, scratchy, cacophonous (vs. euphonious), cacophonic
- usage: unpleasantly harsh or grating in sound; "a gravelly voice"
All rights reserved.
See also: grating (Dictionary)