WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. gambit, ploy, remark, comment, input
- usage: an opening remark intended to secure an advantage for the speaker
- 2. ploy, gambit, stratagem, maneuver, manoeuvre, tactical maneuver, tactical manoeuvre
- usage: a maneuver in a game or conversation
- 3. gambit, chess move
- usage: a chess move early in the game in which the player sacrifices minor pieces in order to obtain an advantageous position
All rights reserved.
See also: gambit (Dictionary)