- 1. thwart, queer, spoil, scotch, foil, cross, frustrate, baffle, bilk, prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
- usage: hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of; "What ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing September surge"; "foil your opponent"
- 2. torment, rag, bedevil, crucify, dun, frustrate, harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke
- usage: treat cruelly; "The children tormented the stuttering teacher"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. defeated, disappointed, discomfited, foiled, frustrated, thwarted, unsuccessful (vs. successful)
- usage: disappointingly unsuccessful; "disappointed expectations and thwarted ambitions"; "their foiled attempt to capture Calais"; "many frustrated poets end as pipe-smoking teachers"; "his best efforts were thwarted"
All rights reserved.
See also: frustrated (Dictionary)