WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. formalism, doctrine, philosophy, philosophical system, school of thought, ism
- usage: the doctrine that formal structure rather than content is what should be represented
- 2. formalism, philosophical doctrine, philosophical theory
- usage: (philosophy) the philosophical theory that formal (logical or mathematical) statements have no meaning but that its symbols (regarded as physical entities) exhibit a form that has useful applications
- 3. formalism, practice, pattern
- usage: the practice of scrupulous adherence to prescribed or external forms
All rights reserved.
See also: formalism (Dictionary)