Synonyms of face
- 1. face, human face, external body part
- usage: the front of the human head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear; "he washed his face"; "I wish I had seen the look on his face when he got the news"
- 2. expression, look, aspect, facial expression, face, countenance, visage
- usage: the feelings expressed on a person's face; "a sad expression"; "a look of triumph"; "an angry face"
- 3. face, appearance, visual aspect
- usage: the general outward appearance of something; "the face of the city is changing"
- 4. face, surface
- usage: the striking or working surface of an implement
- 5. face, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: a part of a person that is used to refer to a person; "he looked out at a roomful of faces"; "when he returned to work he met many new faces"
- 6. side, face, surface
- usage: a surface forming part of the outside of an object; "he examined all sides of the crystal"; "dew dripped from the face of the leaf"
- 7. face, external body part
- usage: the part of an animal corresponding to the human face
- 8. face, front
- usage: the side upon which the use of a thing depends (usually the most prominent surface of an object); "he dealt the cards face down"
- 9. grimace, face, facial expression, facial gesture
- usage: a contorted facial expression; "she made a grimace at the prospect"
- 10. font, fount, typeface, face, case, type
- usage: a specific size and style of type within a type family
- 11. face, status, position
- usage: status in the eyes of others; "he lost face"
- 12. boldness, nerve, brass, face, cheek, aggressiveness
- usage: impudent aggressiveness; "I couldn't believe her boldness"; "he had the effrontery to question my honesty"
- 13. face, vertical surface
- usage: a vertical surface of a building or cliff
- 1. confront, face up, face, set about, go about, approach
- usage: deal with (something unpleasant) head on; "You must confront your problems"; "He faced the terrible consequences of his mistakes"
- 2. confront, face, meet, encounter, play, take on
- usage: oppose, as in hostility or a competition; "You must confront your opponent"; "Jackson faced Smith in the boxing ring"; "The two enemies finally confronted each other"
- 3. front, look, face, lie
- usage: be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to; "The house looks north"; "My backyard look onto the pond"; "The building faces the park"
- 4. face, be
- usage: be opposite; "the facing page"; "the two sofas face each other"
- 5. face, turn
- usage: turn so as to face; turn the face in a certain direction; "Turn and face your partner now"
- 6. confront, face, present
- usage: present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize; "We confronted him with the evidence"; "He was faced with all the evidence and could no longer deny his actions"; "An enormous dilemma faces us"
- 7. face, disclose, expose
- usage: turn so as to expose the face; "face a playing card"
- 8. face, line
- usage: line the edge (of a garment) with a different material; "face the lapels of the jacket"
- 9. face, cover
- usage: cover the front or surface of; "The building was faced with beautiful stones"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of face (Dictionary)