WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. expand, spread out, grow
- usage: extend in one or more directions; "The dough expands"
- 2. expand, grow
- usage: become larger in size or volume or quantity; "his business expanded rapidly"
- 3. expand, enlarge
- usage: make bigger or wider in size, volume, or quantity; "expand the house by adding another wing"
- 4. boom, thrive, flourish, expand, grow
- usage: grow vigorously; "The deer population in this town is thriving"; "business is booming"
- 5. inflate, blow up, expand, amplify, increase
- usage: exaggerate or make bigger; "The charges were inflated"
- 6. elaborate, lucubrate, expatiate, exposit, enlarge, flesh out, expand, expound, dilate, clarify, clear up, elucidate
- usage: add details, as to an account or idea; clarify the meaning of and discourse in a learned way, usually in writing; "She elaborated on the main ideas in her dissertation"
- 7. extend, expand, change, alter, modify
- usage: expand the influence of; "The King extended his rule to the Eastern part of the continent"
All rights reserved.
See also: expand (Dictionary)