WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. quintessence, ether, element
- usage: the fifth and highest element after air and earth and fire and water; was believed to be the substance composing all heavenly bodies
- 2. ether, organic compound
- usage: any of a class of organic compounds that have two hydrocarbon groups linked by an oxygen atom
- 3. ether, aether, medium
- usage: a medium that was once supposed to fill all space and to support the propagation of electromagnetic waves
- 4. ether, ethoxyethane, divinyl ether, vinyl ether, diethyl ether, ethyl ether, inhalation anesthetic, inhalation anaesthetic, inhalation general anesthetic, inhalation general anaesthetic
- usage: a colorless volatile highly inflammable liquid formerly used as an inhalation anesthetic
All rights reserved.
See also: ether (Dictionary)