- 1. English, English language, West Germanic, West Germanic language
- usage: an Indo-European language belonging to the West Germanic branch; the official language of Britain and the United States and most of the commonwealth countries
- 2. English, English people, nation, land, country
- usage: the people of England
- 3. English, humanistic discipline, humanities, liberal arts, arts
- usage: the discipline that studies the English language and literature
- 4. English, side, spin
- usage: (sports) the spin given to a ball by striking it on one side or releasing it with a sharp twist
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. English
- usage: of or relating to or characteristic of England or its culture or people; "English history"; "the English landed aristocracy"; "English literature"
- 2. English
- usage: of or relating to the English language
All rights reserved.
See also: english (Dictionary)