- 1. ending, termination, morpheme
- usage: the end of a word (a suffix or inflectional ending or final morpheme); "I don't like words that have -ism as an ending"
- 2. termination, ending, conclusion, change of state
- usage: the act of ending something; "the termination of the agreement"
- 3. end, ending, point, point in time
- usage: the point in time at which something ends; "the end of the year"; "the ending of warranty period"
- 4. ending, conclusion, finish, happening, occurrence, occurrent, natural event
- usage: event whose occurrence ends something; "his death marked the ending of an era"; "when these final episodes are broadcast it will be the finish of the show"
- 5. conclusion, end, close, closing, ending, section, subdivision
- usage: the last section of a communication; "in conclusion I want to say..."
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. end, stop, finish, terminate, cease
- usage: have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
- 2. end, terminate, change, alter, modify
- usage: bring to an end or halt; "She ended their friendship when she found out that he had once been convicted of a crime"; "The attack on Poland terminated the relatively peaceful period after WW I"
- 3. end, terminate, be
- usage: be the end of; be the last or concluding part of; "This sad scene ended the movie"
- 4. end, destroy, destruct
- usage: put an end to; "The terrible news ended our hopes that he had survived"
All rights reserved.
See also: ending (Dictionary)