- 1. drum, membranophone, tympan, percussion instrument, percussive instrument
- usage: a musical percussion instrument; usually consists of a hollow cylinder with a membrane stretched across each end
- 2. drum, sound
- usage: the sound of a drum; "he could hear the drums before he heard the fifes"
- 3. barrel, drum, cylinder
- usage: a bulging cylindrical shape; hollow with flat ends
- 4. drum, metal drum, vessel
- usage: a cylindrical metal container used for shipping or storage of liquids
- 5. brake drum, drum, cylinder
- usage: a hollow cast-iron cylinder attached to the wheel that forms part of the brakes
- 6. drum, drumfish, sciaenid fish, sciaenid
- usage: small to medium-sized bottom-dwelling food and game fishes of shallow coastal and fresh waters that make a drumming noise
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. drum, beat, thrum, sound, go
- usage: make a rhythmic sound; "Rain drummed against the windshield"; "The drums beat all night"
- 2. drum, play
- usage: play a percussion instrument
- 3. cram, grind away, drum, bone up, swot, get up, mug up, swot up, bone, study, hit the books
- usage: study intensively, as before an exam; "I had to bone up on my Latin verbs before the final exam"
All rights reserved.
See also: drum (Dictionary)