WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. submerge, drown, overwhelm, cover, spread over
- usage: cover completely or make imperceptible; "I was drowned in work"; "The noise drowned out her speech"
- 2. drown, extinguish, eliminate, get rid of, do away with
- usage: get rid of as if by submerging; "She drowned her trouble in alcohol"
- 3. drown, die, decease, perish, go, exit, pass away, expire, pass, kick the bucket, cash in one's chips, buy the farm, conk, give-up the ghost, drop dead, pop off, choke, croak, snuff it
- usage: die from being submerged in water, getting water into the lungs, and asphyxiating; "The child drowned in the lake"
- 4. drown, kill
- usage: kill by submerging in water; "He drowned the kittens"
- 5. swim, drown, be
- usage: be covered with or submerged in a liquid; "the meat was swimming in a fatty gravy"
All rights reserved.
See also: drown (Dictionary)