- 1. contrivance, stratagem, dodge, scheme, strategy
- usage: an elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade; "his testimony was just a contrivance to throw us off the track"
- 2. dodge, evasion
- usage: a quick evasive movement
- 3. dodge, dodging, scheme, falsehood, falsity, untruth
- usage: a statement that evades the question by cleverness or trickery
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. dodge, move
- usage: make a sudden movement in a new direction so as to avoid; "The child dodged the teacher's blow"
- 2. dodge, move
- usage: move to and fro or from place to place usually in an irregular course; "the pickpocket dodged through the crowd"
- 3. hedge, fudge, evade, put off, circumvent, parry, elude, skirt, dodge, duck, sidestep, avoid
- usage: avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues); "He dodged the issue"; "she skirted the problem"; "They tend to evade their responsibilities"; "he evaded the questions skillfully"
All rights reserved.
See also: dodge (Dictionary)