- 1. distance, spacing, spatial arrangement
- usage: the property created by the space between two objects or points
- 2. distance, region, part
- usage: a distant region; "I could see it in the distance"
- 3. distance, length, size
- usage: size of the gap between two places; "the distance from New York to Chicago"; "he determined the length of the shortest line segment joining the two points"
- 4. distance, aloofness, indifference
- usage: indifference by personal withdrawal; "emotional distance"
- 5. distance, space, time interval, interval
- usage: the interval between two times; "the distance from birth to death"; "it all happened in the space of 10 minutes"
- 6. distance, point, point in time
- usage: a remote point in time; "if that happens it will be at some distance in the future"; "at a distance of ten years he had forgotten many of the details"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. distance, keep, maintain, hold
- usage: keep at a distance; "we have to distance ourselves from these events in order to continue living"
- 2. outdistance, outstrip, distance, leave behind
- usage: go far ahead of; "He outdistanced the other runners"
All rights reserved.
See also: distance (Dictionary)