WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. dismiss, disregard, brush aside, brush off, discount, push aside, ignore, reject
- usage: bar from attention or consideration; "She dismissed his advances"
- 2. dismiss, throw out
- usage: cease to consider; put out of judicial consideration; "This case is dismissed!"
- 3. dismiss, send packing, send away, drop, displace, fire, give notice, can, dismiss, give the axe, send away, sack, force out, give the sack, terminate
- usage: stop associating with; "They dropped her after she had a child out of wedlock"
- 4. displace, fire, give notice, can, dismiss, give the axe, send away, sack, force out, give the sack, terminate, remove
- usage: terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position; "The boss fired his secretary today"; "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
- 5. dismiss, usher out, say farewell
- usage: end one's encounter with somebody by causing or permitting the person to leave; "I was dismissed after I gave my report"
- 6. dissolve, dismiss, change, alter, modify
- usage: declare void; "The President dissolved the parliament and called for new elections"
All rights reserved.
See also: dismiss (Dictionary)