Synonyms of discouraging
- 1. deter, discourage, disapprove, reject
- usage: try to prevent; show opposition to; "We should discourage this practice among our youth"
- 2. discourage
- usage: deprive of courage or hope; take away hope from; cause to feel discouraged
- 3. warn, discourage, admonish, monish, rede, advise, counsel
- usage: admonish or counsel in terms of someone's behavior; "I warned him not to go too far"; "I warn you against false assumptions"; "She warned him to be quiet"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. discouraging (vs. encouraging), daunting, intimidating, demoralizing, demoralising, disheartening, dispiriting, frustrating, unencouraging, dissuasive, hopeless, unhelpful
- usage: depriving of confidence or hope or enthusiasm and hence often deterring action; "where never is heard a discouraging word"
- 2. discouraging, dissuasive (vs. persuasive)
- usage: expressing disapproval
All rights reserved.